Finding a babysitter is a scary thing. Personally, we’ve only used family for these things in the past. Or the daughters of close friends. Sometimes, the stars do not line up, and we have to pass on plans or appointments because no one is available.
Hiring a complete stranger? Not likely. And ever ask friends for babysitter recommendations? Sure, that works, unless that sitter is already booked for them. Or maybe they just don’t want to say because they don’t want to take the chance that you’ll book the sitter when they need them. Ha! In actuality, it’s always one of those things that you don’t think about until you’re in a bind.
Enter Urban Sitter.
It’s easy. You can use your social networks to connect with other parents in your area who recommend sitters. They even have a mobile app. You can set search criteria to what you want, when you want, and decide how much you’re willing to pay.
I recently attended an luncheon at the Tin Roof in Manhattan Beach, hosted by MomsLA and Urban Sitter. I met some lovely women who babysit, students from Loyola Marymount (Go Lions!), a mom with grown children, a screenwriter, and a full time nanny. Urban Sitter provides a network of these types of sitters that you can interview ahead of time and get recommendations from others.
And, you can even set up payment using your credit card through the site, so you aren’t scrambling to make sure you have cash on hand when the sitter comes. I know this will come in handy for us. I’ve already started using the site looking for a “parent helper” for the next time we have to take the twins for their tv job.
More good details about Urban Sitter:
• Syncs with social networks to show you babysitters personally recommended (used and reviewed) by your friends and local parents in your mother’s group, child’s school, sports team, etc. The power of social recommendations is the “magic” of the site.
• Search for sitters by the exact date & time you need them, then sort your results by filters including background check, hourly rate, and experience.
• Badges on sitter profiles indicate average response time to job requests, number of ‘repeat families’ who have booked them multiple times through the site, and if they accept credit cards for payment.
• You can also post a job for last minute help or recurring needs like Monday/Wednesday/Friday sitter or even full time nanny. Just write a description of your job and we’ll let you know when sitters express interest. You can also sort your list of candidates by the same filters as in a search and easily book interviews.
• Sitters keep their schedules online, so parents can book jobs and interviews for a specific date/time — instantly at the click of a button!
• Stay organized with handy email reminders and access to your babysitter bookings.
• Book babysitters on-the-go — quickly and conveniently with the UrbanSitter iPhone app (also free download).
Give it a try. UrbanSitter is running a sweepstakes and the prize is a year of babysitting for weekly date nights. (Or time for you!) Click here to enter!
“This is a sponsored post for MomsLA and Urban Sitter. However, all opinions expressed are my own.”