HPV Vaccine?

My oldest is still a couple years away from needing to make a decision about the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination.  But it’s something I’ve thought about since it first came on the market.

My first reaction was, no. There was a lot of talk about the vaccine being unnecessary.  And kids being “over-vaccinated.”  I followed the hype.

Since then, I’ve learned more about HPV.  And about cervical cancer which can result from it.  And to be honest, I fear that more than I fear getting a vaccination.  If I could go back in time and be vaccinated myself I would do it.

Because there is nothing I fear more than not being able to see my kids grow up.  And to be able to prevent getting cervical cancer.  Every pap brings a bit of anxiety until I know the results are clear.

The HPV vaccine protects against the types of HPV that cause most cervical cancers. It’s given in three doses over a 6 month period to boys and girls starting at 11-12 years old.  If I vaccinate my kids from whooping cough and chicken pox, which I have.  Why wouldn’t I vaccinate my girls for something that could prevent HPV? I think I’ve made up my mind.

Is this something you’ve thought about?

You can find out more information from the Centers for Disease Control:

Preteens and Teen Vaccines
For Parents

This is a sponsored post for which I will receive compensation.  My words and opinion on the matter are my own.

This Post Has 7 Comments

1. Yes and Yes. Like you, every OB/GYN visit I hear a ticking clock, waiting for what seems to be an inevitable diagnosis. Will I do everything I can to make sure my daughter and my son’s partners are safe? You betcha.
    .-= Nancy [Spinning My Plates]´s last blog ..Taming the Dragon =-.

2. tomthegirl says:

thanks for the info! I never knew boys could also get the vaccine. im def having my daughter get it when she is old enough. anything that can help prevent cancer is ok in my book!

3. Issa says:

I have seen reasons against it and for it. But like you said, I’ve vaccinated my kids against many things to keep them safe and healthy. I will be doing this as well.
    .-= Issa´s last blog ..One week in: side effects =-.

4. mel says:

I am so glad you posted about this. I completely forgot that I wanted to talk to the pediatrician about it at Haley 11 year physical last month! I just sent her an email to follow up.

5. Patti says:

Hi – Thank you for posting this because we need more and more awareness. I am a Cervical Cancer Survivor and the long and difficult journey I had to endured, I do not wish it on anybody. In the US alone every hour a woman gets diagnosed with cervical cancer and every 2.5 hours a woman dies from cervical cancer. I was one of the lucky ones, and now I give voice to those that cannot speak. I use my story to educate woman about this preventable disease and to let them know that my story does not have to be theirs. The HPV vaccine is one the tools we have to protect us from the 2 strains (16 &18) that causes 70% of the cervical cancer cases. Even though you get the vaccine you still have to get your annual pap test. There are 2 vaccines on the market right now: Gardacil – which was approved by the FDA in 2006 for girls and it was approved for the boys in 2009. Gardacil protects for strains 6,11,16, 18. Strains 6 & 11 are the culprits for 90% of the genital warts cases. Both females and males can get the vaccine between 9-26 years old. The other vaccine is Cervarix which was approved by the FDA in 2009 for girls only because it only protects for strains 16 & 18 that causes 70% of the cervical cancer cases.
    When I was between the ages 9-26 they was no HPV vaccines and until I was diagnosed I really did not know what was the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). HPV is known as the “common cold” of STI. STI?????? Yes, it is a sexually transmitted infection, but it is not the result of a promiscuous sexual behavior or because you were unfaithful to your partner. According to the CDC, in the US there are 6 million new cases of HPV every year. 80% of the population in the US that is sexually active will be infected by HPV at one point of their life. The good news is that for MOST people the virus is transient, but there are women that do not clear certain types of the virus and cervical cancer can develop. I want to point our that another tool to prevent cervical cancer is the HPV test for womenr 30+. You can ask your GYN about this test. I can go on and on but the bottom line is this — I am NOT saying run and get the vaccine but know that the option is there for you to take with your child., The vaccine does not give you a free ride but it can reduce the odds to those high risk strains that can cause cervical cancer. Please discuss it with your physician. Just remember Early Detection and Prevention saves lives!!!!. Please be your own health advocate. Much Health to All!!!!!
    .-= Patti´s last blog ..Intimacy After Cervical Cancer =-.

6. Unknown Mami says:

We’re not there yet, but I pretty sure it’s going to be a yes on that one.

7. briya says:

You know what? I am NOT a fan of vaccinations, but 1) I don’t want the brat to get something SO AVOIDABLE and 2) when you work where I work, you see the benefits of various vaccinations. I can’t tell people their ridiculous for NOT getting it, but I know that I made sure the brat got it.
    .-= briya´s last blog ..A Moment with The Brat =-.