Across the border

I remember driving across the border with my family. Cherished family memories of playing in the beach in Rosarito.

The food we ate. The paletas and fresh fruits. The delicious seafood. The first time I learned I liked shrimp and lobster.

I can remember the condo we stayed in. Playing board games and card games on the patio enjoying the ocean breeze.

It was a time when I remember having what is now known as “quality” time as a family.

It was the best way of being connected to Mexico and immersed in a Spanish environment. There is no question that those trips helped me retain the language.

It was something I wanted to continue as a mom. I was fortunate to be able to take my older girls to Mexico a few years ago. We loved it. It was a tangible way to teach them about our culture.

La Bufadora in Ensanada, Mexico

La Bufadora in Ensanada, Mexico

My older daughter was excited to learn new words in Spanish. She still asks, “when are we going back to the casita at the beach?” She still asks about returning to Aguascalientes to visit family. I hope she never forgets those trips.
The world is changing. It isn’t so easy to plan a last minute trip down south. And to be frank, it’s not as safe.
Summer of 2007, Rosarito Beach

Summer of 2007, Rosarito Beach

The violence and crime in Mexico has escalated. I have a few family members who recently were victims of burglary and even kidnapping. And even more recently, a cousin was killed while crossing the border in Tijuana.

He was a young, kind and vibrant person. His family is completely heartbroken. The media has speculated all kinds of motives. But the truth is, he was an American living in Mexico driving to work as he did every day.

And the killer walked right up to him, riddled the vehicle with bullets and ran away. Surrounded by other cars. And, you would think, some law enforcement. But the killer got away onfoot.

I pray for an end to the violence in Mexico. For peace. I pray for my extended family and yours.

Rest in peace, dear primo.

This Post Has 13 Comments

1. pamela says:

There has been too much violence there and it makes me sad. My only living grandma lives close to the border and it scares me so much.

I’m so sorry for your loss, Lexi <3

2. EmmieJ says:

Sending all my love to you and your family. xoxoxo

3. Mom2jazz says:

Amor, que horrible. I can only imagine the pain you ate going through. My prayers are with you, the family & friends. It’s sad that such a beauitful culture & people are being targeted by such evil. I too pray for peace in Mexico. Hugs. Please let me know of I cab do anything to help.

4. mel says:

It needs to end. Much love to you and your family. love you.

5. AmazingGreis says:

So sorry Lexi! Sending love to you and your family!

6. Al_Pal says:

Tragic. I’m so, so sorry for your family’s loss. *hugs*

7. Issa says:

Oh Lexi, I’m so sorry friend. So very sorry. Sigh. The world just seems to be getting crazier and crazier.

We used to go to Rosarito beach every year for spring break when I was little.

8. I’m so sorry for your family’s tragic loss. I love Mexico too and have great childhood and adult memories there. I hope things settle soon so I can feel safe taking my kids to places I loved so much.

9. Chibi Jeebs says:

I’m so sorry for your loss, Lexi. Sending much love.

xoxo

10. Tracy says:

I’m so sorry, Lexi. Nothing anyone can say will make it better for you or your family. A life was unjustly taken and that is incredibly tragic. {Abrazos}

I hope the violence in Mexico comes to an end sooner rather than later – for the people living there and for those like you who want to be in touch with their roots and give their children the memories they deserve.

11. Patty says:

My deepest condolences to you and your family. My heart breaks reading this post. Sending you lots of hugs & keeping your family in my prayers.

12. veronica lee says:

Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
    Have a nice day!

13. […] AmazingGreis, mooshinindy, kellygo, temptingsam, alotofnothing, kimt205, Maria0305, poobou, laprimera, JustOneMiss, mrschaos, ewokmama, VDog, al_pal . . […]