No Place For Hate

I wasn’t going to say anything. But it’s been eating at me all week.

I was minding my own internet business. Reading through the blogs in my google reader. Well, some of them. I subscribe to way too many and am about to Mark All As Read, I tell you.

There’s a blog I read every American Idol season, that has snarky yet slightly entertaining recaps. And I was sad to see a most hateful not-funny line about Karen Rodriguez, the “sings in Spanish,” Mexican-American contestant.

Look, I wasn’t shocked she didn’t continue in the contest. She is talented, but she was not the cream of this season’s crop. And she mixed in Spanish lyrics into the songs she sang, if not singing entire songs in Spanish. Maybe not the “mainstream” type of singing that gets the votes on this show.

But to see this blogger publish a post saying that, rather than becoming a recording artist, she would be “cleaning hotel rooms?”

I was offended. I was saddened. I was pissed.

Will remarks like this ever stop? This is 2011, right? The age of “political correctness?”

I’m raising four Latina girls. Girls who will become strong Latina women. I have hopes for them to attend college. To make a place in this world for themselves. To aim high. To know that the humble beginnings of their great grandparents gave them the opportunities to be whatever they aspire to.

My hope is that they NEVER hear anyone tell them that they have no hope of achieving their goal. That this blogger and people like him open their eyes and learn to treat their fellow humans with respect.

My hope is that my children know that words are powerful. And that they never use them to tear down others.

My hope is that my children live a life they love. Whatever it is they decide to do.

My intention is not to start a fight with anyone. But to take the opportunity in my own space to make a declaration. There is no place for hate in my world.

Love above all.

This Post Has 9 Comments

1. briya says:

Gah! So much is wrong with this. It’s 2011, people! I feel like I should make a list of things that each race is no longer responsible for:

The Blacks & Latinos are no longer just cleaning houses;
    The Chinese are no longer just doing your dry cleaning;
    The Indians (from India) are no longer just driving taxis;
    The Native Americans aren’t just working in casinos;
    The Japanese aren’t just the people who are fucking the grading curve in school.

Feel free to add to this list as needed. EVERYONE IS DOING EVERYTHING. That’s the point. We’re all free to do what we want/love.

2. Andrea says:

Oh! As soon as I read what he said I was like, are you KIDDING me? Saddest thing is that so many people will understand why you are upset and offended. Because so many of us know what the jab means. That’s horrible. Seriously. 🙁 There are so many things to say about people if you don’t think they’re cut out for what they are trying to do. This is the first season in ages I’m not watching AI, but I know what you’re talking about because I read stuff about the contestants, and someone said this girl seemed to want to be Jennifer Lopez. When I read that I felt bad, not because I don’t like JLo … 😉 But because I thought the poor girl was trying to use an angle that won’t guarantee success. The whole Selena song, etc. It’s like performing one of Kara’s songs last year – sucking up to the judges doesn’t work. THAT’s why I felt for her. Not for any ridiculous stereotypical reasoning. So sad that this person actually wrote such a thing, and good for you for not saying who it was and giving them any unnecessary attention. I love what you said about your girls. I’m raising a girl, as well, and I want her to know there are NO BOUNDARIES. It may seem silly, but as a Jewish girl in the south I know she’ll face some discrimination of her own. Not nearly the same, but why should it exist at all?

OK, I’m done rambling. Thanks for sharing such an eloquent post.

3. Andrea_R says:

Maybe it’s because I’m Canadian I notice this more when I go to the US. (not that we don’t have racism here, it’s far more subtle).

But my God, it’s so BLATANT down there. I was shocked. Just… so shocked.

One of the most vivid, and I can;t even remember what she said, but I was at a conference and had literally just met two women, who continued their conversation about gardeners or cleaners or *something* along that line, and I just stood there with my jaw hanging open and my brain going “OMG THAT’S SO RACIST!”

And not funny.

It’s just insane. You can practically feel it in the air. Why America hasn’t had another revolt over it I do not know.

4. Carol says:

Lexi – I am not going to ask who or where I can read this because it will NOT be pretty. I agree with Andrea, Canadians look at this country and can’t wrap their heads around the racism still so a live and well in America.

What an ignorant ass, and what the hell is going on in his world where he (?) thinks it’s ok to put that on a post for everyone to read??? Wow.

5. Hola! Truly, I just can’t understand why people still make racist comments like this. I believe is hidden fear and ignorance …..a lot of ignorance.
    Saludos!

6. I didn’t grow up hating any particular race, it’s not how my parents raised me, however, I see so many people who are blinded by color that it gives me little hope with where our society is heading.

*shakes head*

7. Eva Smith says:

What a powerful post! Standing with you on this one too.

8. Catalina says:

People like that don’t understand how hurtful those “passive” comments are. At least, I like to think they don’t know. Clearly he was referring to Jennifer Lopez’s movie, Maid In Manhattan. Prejudice is never clever.

9. Chantel says:

This is disappointing! What’s sad is that the writer probably thought he was being funny. It’s commonplace for American’s to feel prejudicial towards races other than their own. It’s embarrassing. Let’s move to Canada!